1BitSquared has released Elle0, a new Paparazzi UAV autopilot. Elle0 is the lowest cost autopilot developed specifically for use with the Paparazzi UAV framework. It was inspired by the Lisa/MX and Apogee autopilots and has been stripped down to the most essential features while preserving the flexibility that Paparazzi autopilots are famous for.
Here are some of the specs:
- STM32F4 168MHz ARM Cortex-M4 microcontroller with FPU
- 1 Mbyte of Flash memory
- 192+4 Kbytes of SRAM including 64-Kbyte of CCM (core coupled memory) data RAM
- Cryptographic acceleration: hardware acceleration for AES 128, 192, 256, Triple DES, HASH (MD5, SHA-1), and HMAC
- True random number generator
- 3 axis gyroscope (connected over SPI for high speed sampling and low latency)
- 3 axis accelerometer (connected over SPI for high speed sampling and low latency)
- 3 axis magnetometer (connected over SPI for high speed sampling and low latency)
- barometer (connected over dedicated SPI for low noise operation and low latency)
- 1 I2C auxilary sensor connection
- 2 TTL level serial ports for telemetry radio and GPS
- 2 serial input interfaces for remote control receivers (using Spektrum compatible JST connectors)
- 1 USB port for easy firmware upgrade
- 8 PWM outputs/inputs for servos or legacy PPM RC receivers
- 2 Analog inputs for system battery voltage and current measurement
- CAN TX and RX lines are accessible
Mechanically Elle0 is designed around the 30.5mm M3 hole pattern, popularized by the Nano Quad community. But Elle0 can be used on more than just Nano Quads, it has everything on board to control anything from a small Quad through a big Octocopter to Airplanes or Helicopters. For an autonomous UAV you just need to add a GPS, Telemetry radio and maybe RC receivers. 😉
Apropos RC receivers, Elle0 provides two Spektrum Satellite compatible connectors. You don’t have to crimp special wires to connect your Spektrum Diversity setup to your autopilot anymore!
For more information check out our Wiki Page. 1BitSquared is offering Elle0 for Pre-Order in their store. Elle0 will start shipping early 2016.
Researchers from the GMEI/MNPCA have recently returned from a one month field measurement campaign at the weather
station of Mace Head in Ireland.
Their report was very positive with more than forty scientific flights, up to 3350m above sea level, some of them synchronized with a
meteorological satellite overpass, for the study of interactions between clouds and aerosols.
Several unmanned aircraft, equipped with the Paparazzi UAV
systems, have been used, carrying meteorological, aerosol, cloud and 3D wind sensors.
A bungee was used for taking-off, while a big net was needed in
order to recover the planes, since the ground was not suitable for traditional landings.
This campaign was part of the BACCHUS project (Impact of
Biogenic versus Anthropogenic emissions on Clouds and Climate: towards a Holistic UnderStanding).