Here is a short review of our Paparazzi UAV meet up at the 32C3.
For those of you who have never heard of the Chaos Communication Congress, it is a hacker conference that takes place every year between Christmas and New Year’s Eve in Germany. For many years it was held in Berlin, but with the increased attendance a larger venue was needed, it is now being held in Hamburg, Germany.
Most people arrive in Hamburg on the 26th of December for day 0 of the conference. We met our assembly in the large Hackcenter hall. EZ who helped organize lodging for a lot of us also found and reserved tables for us. Usually it was the CCC organizers who were reserving the tables for the so called Assemblies. This time they did not do that for any Assembly with less than a 100 members. This shows how big the event is getting.
During the conference we spent a lot of time talking about the future of the Paparazzi project, and making plans for how we can improve things. We had quite a busy table with 30 Paparazzians and friends. People were assembling their airframes and flying them for the medias amusement. We were interviewed by ARTE, the French German culture TV station and a few other media outlets. We are not sure when and where our footage will air, but we will post it here when it does. If you see it on TV, please let us know. 🙂
As always Felix (our tireless maintainer) was very busy merging and improving the Paparazzi UAV codebase. One of the more exciting developments is the improved python ivy bindings. Making the implementation of ground agents in python easier. Additionally, stay tuned for some awesome announcements from Hooperfly who organized his own CCC hackathon in Portland, OR as he could not make it to the real thing.
We also met a lot of old friends, from projects like Sigrok and UAVP-NG. As well as making new connections to projects like Yosys and IceStorm. Formally verified FPGA based autopilots anyone? 🙂
As always, an event like this is incredibly inspiring and productive. We hope you will join us next year to be part of the event.
We will keep you posted if there are any other events where you can meet other Paparazzians. And also let us know if you know of any Paparazzi related events or meetups worth mentioning here, just drop us an email at: press at paparazziuav.org
1BitSquared has released Elle0, a new Paparazzi UAV autopilot. Elle0 is the lowest cost autopilot developed specifically for use with the Paparazzi UAV framework. It was inspired by the Lisa/MX and Apogee autopilots and has been stripped down to the most essential features while preserving the flexibility that Paparazzi autopilots are famous for.
Here are some of the specs:
- STM32F4 168MHz ARM Cortex-M4 microcontroller with FPU
- 1 Mbyte of Flash memory
- 192+4 Kbytes of SRAM including 64-Kbyte of CCM (core coupled memory) data RAM
- Cryptographic acceleration: hardware acceleration for AES 128, 192, 256, Triple DES, HASH (MD5, SHA-1), and HMAC
- True random number generator
- 3 axis gyroscope (connected over SPI for high speed sampling and low latency)
- 3 axis accelerometer (connected over SPI for high speed sampling and low latency)
- 3 axis magnetometer (connected over SPI for high speed sampling and low latency)
- barometer (connected over dedicated SPI for low noise operation and low latency)
- 1 I2C auxilary sensor connection
- 2 TTL level serial ports for telemetry radio and GPS
- 2 serial input interfaces for remote control receivers (using Spektrum compatible JST connectors)
- 1 USB port for easy firmware upgrade
- 8 PWM outputs/inputs for servos or legacy PPM RC receivers
- 2 Analog inputs for system battery voltage and current measurement
- CAN TX and RX lines are accessible
Mechanically Elle0 is designed around the 30.5mm M3 hole pattern, popularized by the Nano Quad community. But Elle0 can be used on more than just Nano Quads, it has everything on board to control anything from a small Quad through a big Octocopter to Airplanes or Helicopters. For an autonomous UAV you just need to add a GPS, Telemetry radio and maybe RC receivers. 😉
Apropos RC receivers, Elle0 provides two Spektrum Satellite compatible connectors. You don’t have to crimp special wires to connect your Spektrum Diversity setup to your autopilot anymore!
For more information check out our Wiki Page. 1BitSquared is offering Elle0 for Pre-Order in their store. Elle0 will start shipping early 2016.